Sunday 7 July 2013

A new regime, and without stupidity

I have not written in this blog for a long time because I do not want to document the drag of unfitness.

I am reminded before I write properly of the transformation of such icons as John Stone (google him). He was a national-standard swimmer who became desperately fat in his early 30s. In response to various personal traumas, he dedicated himself to fitness and nutrition, and therefore sculpted his flabby body into an impressive physique. However, his premise that anyone can experience such changes is somewhat disingenuous: he underplays his sporting past somewhat. The body he has now is the body that he should have had in the past.

My foot injuries have been debilitating. They have come through my lack of educated training, and my over indulgence in hobbies that involve me sitting down. Reading my posts of the past year, I can summarise them with these following tips if you, too, are a Teacher-Runner.

To be a runner is to experience impact and damage and fatigue. Your ability to absorb these challenges and respond with a spirit of resolute redoubt will define your running success, or not. As a youth, I could train little and run fast. Any damage caused by my tired muscles would be absorb by my excitable will. Any injuries to my joints would be compensated by the structure of my bone-joints. In short, I did not need to be smart in order to continue running. I do now.

To be a teacher is to balance getting-things-done with long periods of tackling a task. It is possible to sit with fatigue for a long while marking or planning or thinking or writing. My chairs, however, comfortable, have caused my legs to atrophy somewhat. They have not grown smaller, but rather have grown weaker. My ability to absorb damage, and to respond with elastic explosiveness, has diminished.

This is not a terrible issue. I have not responded by giving up. Instead I have slowly chugged away, trying to earnestly chip the health issues surrounding my injury. In response to my pain, I have seen many doctors. In one instance, I received £150+£500 compensation for ill-treatment. No malice was meant at any point, merely the desperate impossibility of health-care in the minute minutes given to me by overworked professionals on things that, while significant to me, are tediously commonplace to them.

My response to all these issues is to embark upon a new regime with the help of a personal trainer. It is weights-based. Avoiding the impact of foot on ground, I have felt this weekend the pain of my muscles growing stronger. I recognise it from my endeavouring youth: it is an ache that is not debilitating, grows, and then diminishes, leaving strength in its wake.

Perhaps one day I will run again (and I may well run again on a school sports day coming up soon). But for now, I happy to stand up, stretch, and to avoid exercising with stupidity. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home