Sunday 1 May 2011

After the 10k...

Blimey! I really need to learn to stretch properly again.

Having just returned from the 10k, I sit back to consider what it means to have posted 46:02. To be fair, my time on this course last year was 49:50/30, so I have improved immensely since then. It was still a fair way off what I am capable of, perhaps.

For some reason I felt a distinct sense of not really wanting to beat my PB. Although I did wear my shiny flats.

The 20 degrees heat was rather oppressive. It was windy, but not windy enough to keep me cool. Still, again, I managed to give a sprint finish. I deliberately slowed down, too, just before the final 200m or so as to let a few other people overtake me so I could overtake them in front of the crowds.

I enjoy, too, in 10ks shouting at the crowds; it must be tedious at times incessantly applauding runners who don't acknowledge you. Save the really good ones who must be in the zone.

Afterwards I took advantage of a massage. While my legs didn't hurt in the sense that they weren't destroyed, they were clearly heavy. The masseur commented such too, saying that I really need to stretch. Again, to be fair, my cardio wasn't painful. What was perturbing, though, was my inability to power forward at any point in the race. OK, I managed a ridiculous spring finish. But even then, I can feel my speed ebbing away in the place of some endurance.

I wonder what this means for my teaching? For the vast past of my early career, I have always been about bursts of intensity, of projects that would last a few weeks. Maybe those project, like these 10ks, no longer challenge me. Yes, there is a challenge in both in the sense that to post a good 10k time requires character and will. But I don't feel the sense of achievement that I once did.

This was a time that could almost be considered my new 'minimum' time. And that I should be proud that it is much faster than other times I have done.

Another thing to note is that a toe on my right foot is chaffed. From where it connects with my foot, I think that it has been rubbed and a layer of skin has come off. I should really attach some tape. And realise that I not a naturally talented runner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home