Sunday 21 August 2011

Back to the gym

Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in a long time. It was also the first time I had managed to have unpacked things for my new apartment. For the past two years I have saved a hell of a lot of money by lodging with people. I have paid for it in other ways though.



Not least in my waist. My girth has increased from 31 inches to 36 inches in the past six months or so. I know why. Too much eating out. Fortunately my budget precludes that.

What were my numbers in the gym? I did a HiiT session, which was expectedly difficult. My heart rate hit 195, and I could feel the frantic ache of my chest. My heart rate did drop at least 20 beats during each rest, though – I couldn’t ask for more.

I do want to run; I do want to stay injury free. I intend to train for a week or so, and then plan a more substantial training programme.

I have paid a substantial amount of money in order to obtain insoles. I used to own a pair when I was younger – NHS funded and clumps of plastic. They were entirely necessary. My arches had collapsed (as they have now.) My new insoles are thin, yet can absorb the impact of my feet. That is despite an article read yesterday that suggests that such absorption is something of a myth, and it is the rest of the leg that (should) absorb the impact.

One thing is for certain: I have missed training. It is bad for the spirit. But after the marathon, there was simply no way in hell that I could have continued without (even more) lasting damage. I ran two fast enough 10k races on a damaged foot – a foot so knackered that I couldn’t even run to the start line. But now? It feels much better. It is still weak. But it is better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home