Sunday 19 June 2011

Some sprinting

And so today I've rested from training after having notched up something like two weeks of solid training every day. Fortunately I'm not a complete fool, and managed to ensure that I interspersed the impact of running with cross-training.



My cardio fitness feels at the highest that it has probably ever been. I can hit my heart rate to 170 (or 180) and drop to at least 20 bpm lower in a minute. Further to that, after my high intensity interval training I can now drop my heart rate to less than 120 in two minutes.

What does this mean? It means my body is growing more efficient at doing the kind of exercise through which I am putting it through (phew!) Moreover, I feel happier with having challenged myself each day with some exercise.

The PE teacher at our school (it is a small school!) did some training for me and a fellow teacher on Friday. While I have a lot of admiration for some of my old PE teachers, the chap in our school clearly has more technical knowledge for how to compete in the field events. However, it was the same story as far as my technique is concerned - not relaxed enough. Too tense. Trying too hard. Maybe some yoga or stretching is something that I want to try soon.

Still, I managed to sprint. My times were typical of the times I managed to achieve when I was 13 or so. 12.9 for the 100m (I usually hit between 11.9 and 12.1) and 27 for the 200m (whereas I once managed 24.6, and averaged between 25 and 26.)

As in my youth, my lower legs feel weak. They have no springiness or explosive power. They are not as immensely painful as they have been in the past; they are not strong, though. That is something to build up over the next few years, I think.

Today (and yesterday) my hamstrings have never felt so tight. I could barely walk today, let alone attempt my long run necessary for the half-marathon on Sunday. Still. I trust that tomorrow I will feel much better.

Each of these paragraphs is regular. I am not yet running for PBs, but rather trying to build up my strength without injuring myself. I lack confidence that my lower body can handle an increase in impact training; if I can attempt a longer run tomorrow or Tuesday, I will be very happy indeed. Happier than simply being able to sprint, I think: and that is something that I have not yet said before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home