Sunday 12 June 2011

Castle Howard 10k 2011

I am proud of this run. For a short time now I have been concerned with achieving closer to my PB of 41:50. However, this time is faster than I managed in the two previous races at Castle Howard - I ran 54 three years, then 47 last year, and now 45 this year.



There were a few things to note. I have a busy day ahead of me where I have planned in, by my calendar, the things that I have found difficult to complete on a whim (even with a regulated to-do list.) One of the main ones is to write an essay for my students for an Of Mice and Men controlled assessment. Tired I was in my time of having to put up with a lack of exemplar material; this is something I will change for my students. But with this busy day, I think that this morning (and the large lunch with a chocolate protein shake) will set me up.

I arrived, like last year (although sans a running partner), at the last minute. Misreading the information, I believe it started at 11:30am. Therefore, arriving at 11:05am, I registered at 11:10am. At 11:14am I had my running vest pinned with a number before being called to the line. Fortunately, I had run to the start, so I dispensed with a warm-up.

My first split was 22:43 and my second split was 22:54. My times were consistently fast over the flats, and only slowed slightly on the hills. I was very happy with the fast pace I set myself (considering my fitness, my foot and the like) and felt my cardio training had really kicked in. Mentally I ran with a little more comfort than usual.

Near the finish line, a (male) runner was absolutely killing himself to push for the finish line. In true sprinting fashion, I waited until about 50m before easing myself past him. However, he gargled and pushed past me again. I applauded him as I came in a second or so behind him.

That man was me.

Or, rather, than man was me even last year. I concentrate now on pushing my speed faster for an extended time. I do not slow down near the end to keep a sprint finish. If a sprint finish was necessary for a time I was going for (of which, it has been a long time since I did go for a time in a race) then fair enough. Otherwise, I find the sprint finish a little problematic. If this man was racing me to the end, then what time was he pushing? If I was 'racing' him, would I have put in the effort into my cardio (that I have not done for a fair time) and pushed past him? Would I have valued that final sprint when I perhaps should have expended my energy in a more balanced fashion over the 40 odd minutes before?

My legs are a little stronger. I paid for a (disappointing) massage at the end of the race. It was adequate, but the masseur at Kirkbymoorside actually stretched my legs. To be fair, she was a student, and had a pleasant manner. Like with all students in all things, she had one trained way of doing things, and so did that one way rather well.

I am looking ahead to the staff olympics next week as an excuse to sprint once again. I am also looking to doing some longer runs over the next few weekends (and more) a la my marathon training. My muscles are stronger; I want to strengthen them still. There is still a feeling that if my lower legs could withstand a faster pace from my thighs, then I would be running faster still.

But, in lieu of that, I am happy with my performance over these past two 10k races. The times are not of my absolute best, but I should perhaps consider them to be the fastest 10ks I have done for the those courses. And the next race? Harrogate 10k? Or a marathon/half-marathon abroad?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home