Wednesday 18 May 2011

Tapering week

What a joke. No such things as tapering when you are hardly running. In my mind I am wishing that I can run a 5k this weekend rather than the marathon.

What an ill-sighted mindset, I think.

Perhaps this is something that I do a little too often. Feel, with realisation or understanding, that something that is difficult is coincidentally rather lacking in worth. That isn't to say that things that I find working hard difficult.

Today I woke up at 4:55am to write the previous year's exam paper for my English class. Arrived at school to ensure it was photocopied (has to be there before 7am to guarantee it will be done...) and planned out a thorough grounding in the Friday's SAT test for my Year 8s.

In all, it was a day of constant effort, monitoring and bustling. I ate dinner in 5 mins, and only stopped talking to visit the bathroom.

Yet perhaps I find this easy because it wasn't something that I had to think about. It was something I felt forced upon me by circumstance of my job. However, something like the marathon (and my writing projects) are things that I choose to do. They are somewhat more difficult to complete (and perhaps value prior to the event) because it is only I who chooses to take them on.

I must say, though, that I am by no means as incapacitated as I was before my 400m qualification for the English schools back in the day. Or even as I was a few weeks ago. And, no doubt, I will appreciate being on the start line on the marathon. What does irk me, though, is that I have no idea of what my body can take, and I am feeling a little too sensible to push myself beyond the point of which I am in any state to return on a train to Scarborough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home