Sunday 15 May 2011

The Sunday Run...

I have a week now, less than a week, until I will be on the train back from Edinburgh having managed to run the Edinburgh Marathon. I have suffered from boredom if nothing else, and I feel my weight has ballooned somewhat without my High Intensity Interval Training. In addition, I feel that my hamstrings and legs have not really got the strength that I need to give the marathon anything like the effort it deserves.

Today, for example, I ran an almost tearful 6 miler in an hour. I know that I aim to run 10 minute miles, but it was surprisingly arduous. My legs were tight, my right foot twinged, and I suffered mild heartburn. Still, I know that there is no way in hell that I'm drinking fresh orange juice (which seems to cause that heartburn) between now and Sunday.

Psychologically, I am weak. My motivation has been lacking as, save for this blog and some minor mentions at work, there is no context to this race. I know that I should consider requesting sponsorship (if only that others can live vicariously through my effort!) But I probably won't. I know I should share the race with my kids. But I probably won't. Why not?

Because I enjoy running fast? Because my training has been necessarily intermittent? Because my mentality and entire approach to life is not setup in any discernible sense towards the long haul of a marathon approach?

When I ran the 18 miles, I remember that to run for even a few minutes with decimated legs was hellish. To complete the race, there surely needs to be some sustained moments where you run with a rhythm? That you aren't having to monitor constantly your body and the feedback it is giving you?

I am not in the mentality of this race at all. I do not feel invested in this race. And I know some of the reasons for that. But that is not to say that that won't change nearer the time. That isn't to say that when the main exams are finished and I'm sleeping in a Scottish bed that I won't be ready to run my guts out.

I'll have to.

I am unhappy that my body isn't made for long distance running.

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/flexibilityexercises/a/hamstingstretch.htm

I think I need to get some stretching activities for every day, and some breathing activities for every day, too.

BTW, for those actually reading this blog. I read a very interesting post today on the RunningAhead forum (which is highly recommended, especially since the administrator has given up his day job to go full time). It spoke about how those who consider a sub 90 minute half-marathon to be elite to 'settle down'. It made me think about what is a good run, and what are reputable times. The times I run now for 10k, for example, are looking quite impressive considering the times I am posting now. Also, my 400m time when I was young was very age-impressive. However, these days, I have grown out of any real fitness.

And what is fitness, but a reflection of how a life is lived in its entirety? I look at some of those around me who lack fitness and think to how sharp and motivated I was at the end of summer. At how fit I was to run a 41:50 10k, and how much faster I could have run it.

But! I should say that I never post anything like the running speeds in training that I do in a race. And if I want any chance of breaking a 40 minute 10k, or doing anything like that, I need to begin to post regularly lower times for my 10k. And to run more 5ks too.

And, until I have this marathon completed, it is impossible to see that happen.

Perhaps something I should reflect on positively is the way that I have given up football to complete this marathon. My fitness has been affected, as has my spirit from the lack of banter. If nothing else, I will be happy that that will be something ready to happen again soon.

Righto. Time to head away from this coffee place and to consider what kind of music to play for my marathon. It will ethereal soundtrack music I think. Something, slow, unoffensive, and that doesn't distract from the fact that I will be in all probably running slowly and painfully...

That's the spirit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home