Sunday 26 June 2011

Fallings to bits

Today I woke up thinking that I might see how I go with the half-marathon. As before, in the Great North Run, I had some idea that I might see how I go for the first half and then push harder for the final half.



What a mistake!

I am sitting her now with my right ankle turned. Pushing the gas pedal hurt. Underneath my left foot is a blister the size of a 50p. However, I haven't collapsed of heat exhaustion.

Normally, while running, I am affected by my poor cardio letting me down. Either that or my lower legs simply not functioning. These may have had a factor today, but what affected me most what borderline heat exhaustion. The weather was 30 degrees. The water stations were handing out little plastic cups (!) Gradually, after 10k, I felt my head begin to heat up.

It was a peculiar feeling. My vision was initially focussing, and then blurring. My ears were pounding, and felt like cartoon steam was emerging from them. Frankly, if I could have stopped there and then and got to my car, I would have done. I felt that it wasn't a case of working harder; it was a case of not giving myself some sort of permanent heat damage. I am a stocky fellow, and I was beginning to worry that the lithe types around me weren't heating up to the extent that I was.

I slowed to marathon pace. However, like with many races since, my music (rather than inspire me) began to annoy me. It wanted me to run to its rhythm, and to break my running into its own units, rather than mine. A mile or so after I had began to slow down, I pulled out my headphones, and threw them away (albeit keeping my MP3 player!)

I then ignored my watch - it was a terribly difficult race to run, and I feel like I've been through the wars. Do I need a watch to tell me that? And what metaphor the heat? To run to the point of physical burnout wouldn't have been the brightest thing, either.

Right now, though, I wonder how on earth I'm going to get back on track with any training. One things for sure; I was happy with a slower time this year, happy by far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home