Saturday 25 June 2011

1 minute 40

Over the past three weeks I have run and worked out for 14-16 days solid, and had 3-4 days off. My right ankle is definitely weak. While it doesn't hurt, I think that's because I've changed my gait (ouch!)

Tomorrow I am running the Humber half-marathon. I had hoped to run a distance run last week, but my lower legs simply wouldn't take it. I feel like the Ledley King of Yorkshire.

Two things this week have made me think about my training. Firstly, I gave an arm wrestle to another teacher on his behest (I know!) for the banter of it. The guy was bigger than me, but I won. It reminded me of my youth, and of generally being a little dynamo. Every day I lift a slight amount (25kg) in three sets of 12. It's easy enough, but it has made a pleasing difference.

Secondly, I aided the facilitation of a careers fair (which, credit to our students, went extremely well.) I was wondering how well half a year group would respond to being supervised in the gym for 30 minutes. I needn't have worried.

In one corner there stood a rowing machine with two men timing it. Every keen to be involved, I gave it a go to encourage the kids.



In my shoes and tie, I pushed a 1:40 500m. Compared to the HiiT I usually do, it was fairly sedate. What was sound, though, was how many students then gave it a go afterwards. And, perhaps, most telling, which students didn't want to. Students who one would normally associate with sporting endeavour didn't want to attempt a time in front of their peers. Others, though, posted average times and killed themselves to do so.

I don't quite know what to think of that. A message in there somewhere.

Anyway, the chap who ran the stall said it was the fastest time they'd had testing the rowing machine. I should be 15 years old again.

More on the marathon later: I think it's my last communal run/race for a good few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home