Saturday 29 October 2011

Ambitions for a run tomorrow

This time last year I had returned from the Middle East with a reasonable level of fitness. My weight was nearer to 10 stone 7 or 8 (rather than 11 stone 5, which is still less than 11 stone 6 as I was a few weeks ago.) I had run the Sheffield 10k in 43, and the Foston and Thornton in 42:30, and I was regularly hitting 19:15 for the 5k.

This time, though, my times for the 10k are at least 45. My 5k times are worse - something nearing 21 minutes at my last outing, and sub-20 proving beyond my reach.

These numbers mean that any ambition to run what I originally intended to run this year - a sub 40 minute 10k. That is an ambition poorly aimed. My training has been haphazard, partly through a lack of planning, and partly through needing to rebuild my body after injury and wear.

My spirit is not strong for running tomorrow. This is because I have entered because I want to enter. However, I have not had a build-up of running or fitness. Yes, my 10ks (such as last week) were a build-up of fitness. But not so much.

Why say this? Because my options tomorrow are:

1) Put on my watch the same time as last year, and see how long I can sustain that pace.
2) Put on my watch 45 minutes, and aim to finish within that time.
3) Put on my watch 45 minutes, or more, and aim to run a negative split.

I will almost certainly aim for a negative split. And a dramatic one, too. I found that made the last race interesting, and hopefully that will do the same for this one, too.

I say this because the bottom of my hurt ache. I can feel the flexibility in my legs is negligible. My legs are responding to their insoles, but I need to embark on some sort of flexibility training. Still no real idea of how to do that...

We'll see tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home