Monday 7 May 2012

Kirkbymoorside 10k

The past two years I have run this race, and with some meaning. It is a gorgeous course, and on this day (as before) the weather was beautifully bright and light.

This year I did not enter.

For too long I have not looked at my diet. Nor have I been maintaining anything like a regular gym schedule. For some reason, I have felt so busy that I do not want to visit the gym after work. The truth is, I am waking up so early (between 5:30 and 6:30) that I feel I do not have time in the evening to visit the gym. That is, I would not get my refreshing reflection time if I did. If I do head to the gym, I only want to embark up on short workouts. Short workouts, though, are better than nothing.

However, today I did go to the gym. I gave it medium intensity with a 60+ stepper HiiT for 19 minutes, amongst some weights and stretches. I was tired, and needed to push myself. But, of course, I did. I did not stop. I did not collapse.

This weekend I have felt a knock to my fitness. Or have I? I often think that I do not have time for things: the truth is, energy and endeavour are both more finite than time. At university, I would leave the various social sporting events in favour of venturing back home to embark on imaginative pursuits, or my studies. I think that it is important to realise that such choices are not always a reflection of time, but rather a reflection of energy.

There are a few 10ks coming up in a month or so. I think that I am remarkably injury-free (even if I am carrying huge weight.) As I think and live that sentence my right foot begins a dull reminding ache that my lack of practice may have helped, but it has not cured. There is a lack of sprinting intensity to my workouts. That intensity has been replaced by a longer, more focussed ambling.

I have yet to enter any the upcoming 10ks. But I will. Before I wrote that, I wrote 'I really should.' Such insipid phrases reflect a decisionless concept - of course I really should. In fact, I should. Is it too much to write 'I will'? I think perhaps so.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home