Sunday 30 October 2011

Morning of Scarborough 10k 2011

I wake up this morning refreshed. I can feel the extra weight I'm carrying - far too many eating-outs over last winter, together with not wanting to be in the house too much - and the tightness of my feet and legs.

Last night I dreamt of running. For some reason this half term my mind feels flush with imagination. Of course, running is the metaphor.

It is difficult, still, to realise that running any time that isn't under 41:50 as a failure of the last year. Yet I say to my students time and time again that it is how they run/compete against themselves that matters. That is, that although they might feel the pangs of recognition how their efforts pale against those of their peers, it is their satisfaction in comparison to how they know they have worked themselves that matters.

Easy words.

Today I intend to run the first half slowly, but slowly compared to a 22:30 5k. The second half I intend to run faster, but fast compared to that first 5k, and fast compared to last week too. I hope to hit under 45, but without training I cannot be sure I'll do that.

I guess that's the thing.

Several of my friends aren't running it this year, which is sad. Still, it's more than the one race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home