Saturday 30 October 2010

Morning of the Scarborough 10k

Having woken up at 6:00am, I feel really rather good. My eyes do not burn; my stomach is not set with heavy undigested food. Two (whole) days ago I ran on the tread mill 4 splits of 4 minute 6 mile runs, with one minute recovery. I did this in my thin astroturf boots.

Even yesterday my knees and my ankles ached with a lack of springy energy? Now? I can feel it! I can feel the energy around my legs, and the power seeping into my calves. My lungs have some breath in them, and mind feels undecimated by work.

I intend to aim to run faster than I have ever run before. To do otherwise is, I think, a bit foolish. Also, I am run, for the first time ever, the second 5k of the race faster than the first. Let's see what normally happens:

Blimey. The last 10k - 42:27 - saw me run pretty much the entire 2nd 5k with post 7 minute pace mile (!)I want to run a sub 21:04 5k, though, as that's what I ran slower before. mmm... looking at it all in a bit more detail,though, and I can see that my second 5k was actually faster than my predicted pace for this run - 21:08 for the last 5k! I ran hard and fast for the last mile. My slow miles was for the third mile. mmm...

The 10k race before that, the Yorkshire Coast, saw me consistently running the final 4 miles or so at 7 minute mile pace, getting progressively slower...

My first 5k saw me drop in the last half-mile to almost 7 minute pace (!) But still post a sub 20 time. The harrogate 10k time, while it felt fast, saw me posting post-7 minute mile paces all over the shop (save for a 6 minute mile somewhere in there (!)

I think I need to see what kind of pace I need to run to beat the next...

I need to run 6:48 per mile to post my new target for 42:17. From that, if I run 6:45 per mile I will post sub 42 pace. However, and this is the big if, if I can run the second 5k at 6:25 pace then, and only then, will I be hitting the pace necessary for the sub 40 pace. Can I do it?

Can I run consistently fast at no slower than 6:48 for the first 5k? And no fast than 6:45? And certainly no faster than 6:25(!) :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home