Monday 28 June 2010

Humber-Half Marathon

With the only training 19 minutes HIiT training, I approached this race with some trepidation. However, on the Friday before the Sunday, I played football with great success. I wasn't tired, and I was happy.

On Sunday morning, though, I was hurting. My legs were stiff and my top foot tendons hurt to press on the clutch.

On the start line, too, I met some old teachers - Bob Bird and James Rowe.

Starting at 9:00 minutes miles, I decided the night before (or even Friday) that this was the best slow pace to do. On the day, I managed mostly 8:48 minute miles. This was only a minute slower than my current 10k pace. Most significantly, I didn't stop. Not once. I passed many people who did, or had indeed collapsed. I didn't.

My final time was 1:55:45. The clock on the line said differently, but my watch is accurate to me.

Although I felt a pride at this time, it is hard to feel pride when you are posting a time. http://misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/tables/mendist/menhlf30.html This is decent enough time - next time I will go for: 8:43 pace. Only eight seconds faster, but faster over the entire time.

Furthermore, I carbed up well on baked potatoes - four on the day before. I never ran out of energy. Was hydrated, although I needed to stop for the toilet.

It was good.

And the next race? Not this one. The next one... on the 25th July, the first weekend after I have broken up. I think I will attempt to do some sort of road trip arranged around road races... shall I? :-)

25th July Harrogate
31st July Lancaster
and the spartan race?

We'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home