Tuesday 8 February 2011

A 10k

And so I ran the Dewsbury 10k last Sunday. I saw my mum on the Saturday before the race, and purchased a new running top.

I had recently, at Christmas, purchased some new compression socks. They turned out to be more like hold-ups, and not very good ones at that. I purchased those, according the salesperson, that fitting my 16" calves. They don't stay up though. Perhaps washing them may help a little...

So. The 10k saw me nursing a cold. My throat ached and my nose was blocked throughout. Still, I managed to run sub 43 minutes. The fact that I ran at that speed with some illness pleased me. I did feel it was slow, even though it was in my top 3 times. Thing is, too, it was a relatively flat course - uphill slightly on the first 5k, and downhill on the second 5k.

While I have been practicing my running with the gym cardio, I have been pushing myself for 20 minutes. This was not enough. My cardio went up and down, and, while I was able to push myself between the 6-8kms, I did lose my pace before the end. The purpose, though, was not to necessarily get a PB, but rather to form part of my training.

I can see myself hitting another training session - cardio-wise - on Thursday. I think I'll do a 65+ session. And on Friday, I'll look to do a running session on the treadmill. Of course, on Sunday, I'll look to do a 1:40 minute run. That's the big deal. That's the one to get my muscles working. That's the key one.

There are 15 weeks to go for the race. I have booked the ticket, and the accommodation. That is it. Another race to come up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home