Saturday 1 January 2011

January 2011

My legs hurt today although I have yet to run. Ten years ago, fifteen years ago, I would run with this pain still. I would run, then rub my legs with ice. The pain wouldn't go, as my muscles had unknitted from my bone. But there was certainly a machismo in doing so that my coach wanted to encourage in me.

Running in Wolverhampton again was an experience. Before Christmas I ran a decent pace before running fast along the final stretch of Bantock (which was, interestingly, about 650 metres. On the day after boxing day, I ran a substantial amount, seven miles. I did so much faster than Andy Lee runs a normal 10k. In doing so, I visited Aldersley stadium. My life! Being in that place again was an experience. Dreams and trying hard were something. I then ran again to Highfields school. I managed to run to the school in little over eight minutes. I managed to run the entire time at a substantial pace. Do you want to run a 5k? Try running 5 miles at a substantial pace. So, was it no surprise when I ran my 400m that my body had enough for this week? My time, although 53 second by my watch, seemed to be more just under 60 seconds. Perhaps even 58. What mattered more was my experience, and my experience was this:

Firstly my body felt gittery and queezy. I couldn't run to warm down and I was distracted. After several minutes I began to dry heave. After ten minute I substantially vomited several times. Nothing save water came up. But my body was reacting to being pushed by kicking into fight or flight. Clearly, I was ready for something else - that something being more than simply running 400m.

That experience of running is not something that I want to repeat, frankly. I read the day before about not knowing exactly what the physical limits of runner are. That, and the fact that running is about pushing the limits of endeavour. Apparently. Me? My limits for the 400m have been reached. Well, those without training needed, at least.

So I missed the chance of the 5k race today? So I did. However, I will take advantage of the fact that I have paid copious amounts of money for the gym, and that the gym will serve as a place to give me some low-impact exercise. That is something that I will do tomorrow. That, and that face that I need to start planning:

a) My races.
b) My marathon.

Quite how I will do in my marathon is another story. I have to rely upon baggage handlers. Or upon friends to visit Edinburgh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home