Sunday 7 November 2010

A 5k under 19 minutes

And so with training and discipline I find myself having happily run a sub 19 minute 5k. In doing so, I feel proud and distinctly aware of my achievement.

The race itself was characterised by my controlled (slow) start. I tried to keep slow. Mu first 400m was fast, as it always will be. However, my slow start meant that I was able to keep controlled. Some runners were ahead of me. However, they must have slowed. And, when I came to the final km, I was able to increase my speed to the point where I was running fast - a 3:47km.

My watch said 18:57. My watch says 18:51. The timer said 18:59. A clear run, I say.

Significantly, I was behind the second and third place for most of the race. It was only in the past half-kilometre or so that saw me move towards them, pass them, and push onwards. It was my desire to run faster than 19:00 that allowed me to do this. And what else? What else do I want to do?

I want to run fast. I want to slowly improve my 5k and 10k times second by second. I want to strengthen my legs until my times are pushed down, and I am running fast as I should. I want to pull down my mile time, and see how far I can push down my 5k time. Because, frankly, I can run fast.

Are there people whom I want to run faster than? Their ghosts run, but it how my spirit is inspired, or fired, or dismayed, that matters more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home