Sunday 30 October 2011

Aftermath of 10k and where now?

I ran 46:30 for the 10k. I was 0.15 behind at the 5k, and didn't catch up at all. I ran the second half faster, and for that I am somewhat pleased. But the time reflected my training - for me, it was a nothing time.

It also makes me appreciate how the 45 during the Foston and Thornton wasn't so bad, and that the 42:30 at the Dewsbury at the turn of the year was pretty gutsy, too.

The atmosphere was fantastic. Runners were supportive, weather was great, and my mum had headed to Yorkshire to be looked after and watch me run.

I didn't sprint the final part. That part has changed. I purposefully ran faster in the second 5k so that I didn't have anything left in the tank to do so. Well, I did, but to shave a few seconds off the kind of time that I was running isn't an aspirational of mine, yet.

My legs were numb. There is an issue with tightness and flexibility. I am pushing more into my stride, but I simply lack strength, stamina and flexibility. Springiness.

At the moment, like with the work in my life, it isn't simply a case of putting my head down and 'working harder.' Yes, I could put more hours into my running, but that would be a optimal only with a programme from before.

Diet-wise, I have lost a pound or two in the last three-four weeks. My diet hasn't been rigorous, nor has my exercise been intense. I am aiming to drop my weight with something sustainable, both in terms of energy, and in terms of comfort. Apparently, every pound is worth (at least) two seconds per mile. So, if I get down to 10 stone 10, or 10 stone 6, that is worth a substantial amount of time - even without the fitness.

I think the key thing is to not go backwards too much during this time. So, like all rambling blogs, I'll post some of my ambitions to read myself in due course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home