Sunday 4 December 2011

Park Run

This weekend I have again managed to embark on some physical endeavour with little ill-effect, save a bruised thigh from an enthusiastic friend during football.

Thanks to the suggestion of a friend at work, I made it to the newly-founded park run in Sewerby (about 18 miles from me.) Normally I have been compelled to drive at least an hour to get to the nearest park run. This one, though, was much better distance-wise. I woke up at 7:00am, and then again properly nearer 8am. I set off with water and an orange at 8:15 or so and arrived just after 8:50.

On the watch was 25 minutes. While I remember my first park runs were all under 20 minutes, this is down to a very fast start rather than keeping strong the entire way. We managed to get 25 minutes, or thereabouts, and not keel over in the process. Like with all such things, I think running regularly - to get a base of running and fitness - is more important than trying to run my fastest right now. Like my pal said, you have to know how much further you can push yourself, and be reasonably comfortable with that, before you do.

I also managed to climb a little yesterday, too. It was suitably terrifying. I did, though, twice manage to get to the top of some very high walls. My friend and his partner were encouraging of my efforts, although she was massively more confident than me. Again, for me it seemed it was about knowing how far you can push yourself than simply a lack of strength. There is a necessary wisdom in that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home