Sunday 29 January 2012

Building on worse than before

This weekend I managed to run again in the Sewerby Park Run - it might be three times in a row, or at least twice. It was easier than last week, and I achieved a faster time: 22:15. I slowed down somewhat at the start, and attempted to speed up about half-way on the grass. The entire time a 12-14 year old boy - who can't have been taller than 5'3" - was in front. It was only when I opened up my stride going downhill that I finished ahead of him. He will be stronger and faster quicker.

My times are slower than before, but this course is difficult. It is uphill for a fair distance, and on grass. It has several steep 90 degree turns. But it is not three minutes slower. I saw a picture of myself running in Sheffield about 18 months ago, and my physique has changed.

So today I decided to try a run. I managed about one and a half miles at 10 minute mile pace, and walked the rest. I bounded a few hundred meters towards the end, but realised this: I have lost brute speed. But that is not a bad thing. I have never consistently endured impact training. Perhaps I never will. But to build my muscles to sustain regular impact is an impressive aim for my glass ankles.

I will aim to simply beat the 22:15 next time. That is my aim. Unfortunately, this is perhaps easier said than done, what with the inaccuracy of my garmin on the course. But it is an aim nevertheless. And it is more of an aim than simply running it.

Besides my running, this week has brought some interesting developments with those around me. Where running is useful, and perhaps where I don't speak enough of on this blog, is how it makes you keep going when you do not want to. Of appreciating your limits, and of the different experiences when pushing yourself to those limits.

For example, I can't remember the last time I felt physically stressed. In my running, I aim to work myself into a state of determination. Should I feel that sense of physical urgency at work or play, I don't seem to attribute that to a negative stress.

Another example: in running, I feel like stopping several times. But I have another awareness, of whether my body entirely requires me to stop. And so between those two places - avoidance of pain, and the conscious effort to suffer it - running is something I need to become more than the man I am now. And, as the teacher I want to be, to be the man that puts his life where his mouth is, so to speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home